Appotus Dominus Appotus Dominus
.: The Drunken Masters of Vazaelle :.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hope is Alive! Dem Senators "choke" on Spending

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Righteous

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Hope is Alive! Dem Senators "choke" on Spending Reply with quote

This forum has seen active discussion and debate about the economic situation in the U.S. and what should be done about it. The unpredicented spending strategies of the new President and the Democratically controlled Congress and Senate have stoked this discussion.

The breakneck (not the moose) speed with which the President's $787 Billion plan was pushed through Congress to become law (not ONE congressman had time to read it) has been a point of criticism by me and some others during this discussion.

Most would agree (whatever one's political leaning), that our elected officials who are charged with making decisions on our behalf, inherently have a fundamental ethical responsibility and duty to read and understand (to the best of their abilities) each piece of legislation they vote on. Regretably, this did not occur on the single largest spending decision in U.S. history, the recently passed spending legislation.

It seems that more and more members of Congress, in particular Senators from the President's own Democratic party, are re-considering the wisdom of trying to remedy a strained economy through massive Government tax and spend policies. It seems that as more Congressional representatives (and people in general) thoughtfully digest the pro's and con's of the current spending decisions, more and more are recognizing the inherent negative consequences of it.

This link highlights concerns growing within Democratic Senators. For those (like me) who contend that the best economic medicine is fiscal responsiblity, efficient and limited Government, stimulus through lower taxes...HOPE IS ALIVE!

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19587.html

Highlights if you don't read the entire article...

Quote:
"Moderate and conservative Democrats in the Senate are starting to choke over the massive spending and tax increases in President Barack Obama’s budget plans ..."

“I do think that before we raise revenue [taxes], we first should look to see if there are ways we can cut back on spending....The American people and businesses are tightening their belts,” Bayh added. “I think we need to show that the government can economize as well.” Sen. Evan Bayle (Democrat-Indiana)

"Obama has proposed an array of tax hikes that have been greeted with a chilly reception from Republicans and moderate Democrats"...

"“I have major concerns about trying to raise taxes in the midst of a downturn of the economy,” said Nelson, the conservative Nebraska Democrat. “On the one hand, you’re trying to stimulate the economy. On the other hand, you’re trying to keep money from going into taxpayers’ pockets. It’s very difficult to make that logic work.” Sen. Nelson (Democrat-Nebraska)

"“We need to be careful not to use the economic crisis to get into bad habits.” Sen. McCaskill (Democrat-Missouri)

Sen. Mark Begich (Democrat-Alaska) said he wants to ensure that new spending in Obama’s budget remains funded for only one year. “If it’s coming and staying, then I have a problem.”

“At what point of time do you say enough is enough?” Sen. Jon Tester (Democrat-Montana)

Other Democrats expressing serious concerns about the tax and spending strategy include Sens. Mark Warner of Virginia, Bill Nelson of Florida, Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire, Robert P. Casey Jr. of Pennsylvania, and Blanche L. Lincoln of Arkansas, as well as Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.).

Hope is Alive! Smile

Righteous

MAGELO

Appotus Dominus
Teklan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is this hope that you speak of in your sentences. All this article says is that anything going through the Senate, good or bad, will likely stall now. So theres the possibility that NOTHING will get done opposed to something.
Mandaar
Guild N00bert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teklan, nothing getting done is preferrable to obama doing anything.

There is no hope until he's out.

Don't tell me wait and see. We've seen. History has proven and will prove again that his philosophy cannot work in this countries method of operation.

If you believe this country should change to something less, just admit that and be done with it.
Teklan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So letting our auto companies fold, letting our banks fold, letting millions of layoffs go on without the government doing shit is better than trying something? Please, preach somewhere else.
Gillaian
Loading...please wait

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this country should adopt the philosophical idealology of Taoism. Doing less means doing more. Example: If you are lost in the woods, you are constantly trying to find where you want to be. Now, the more you try the more lost you become. Solution, try to get lost more and you will find your way home!

Now don't get me wrong when I say this, i'm a chemist and not a economist, BUT doesn't it seem strange that instead of taking 1.5 trillion dollars and giving it back to the American people.... we give it to the banks who will charge us interest to borrow that money? Didn't we give them the money in the first place? That's like paying ATM fees.

Now, should Obama be actively trying to make this leftover shit sandwich that "someone" left for him in the fridge into something edible....sure. I just wish Congress would get off their bipartison bullshit soap box and just do what is right for the country for a change instead of what will get them the most campaign contributions for their upcoming election. This would include reading or having someone read for them, the bills that they are voting for.

The fact that many are missing when they say that Obama is just fucking shit up, is that whoever would of taken office after W, was in for a gut check. If you want to blame someone for this mess look at the previous fearless leader who looked the other way while banks fuct the people with sub prime lending.

EDIT: I would say let's start a war and rape and pillage some shit but we can't do that anymore. Whatever happened to the good ol' days when you could invade a country and suck it's resources dry? It worked for the Romans and the Mongols and the US in it's quest to devour the American Indians.
Tessaroq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might not ALL be the government's fault.

2007 was the first time since 1939 that "individual debt" = GDP.

I probably got that wrong, it might be GNP instead of GDP, and it's the sum of all individual debt, but I heard it here on saturday's radio program, and they sounded like they knew what they were talking about in their dumbed down explanation of the banking crisis.

I couldn't find a good link to the audio from their site, but a decent run of it is being hosted here. The simple simple banking analogy starts around the 8 minute mark.

Edit: I found the site with the full show, here it is, you can also download the MP3 of the show or listen to it.

Last edited by Tessaroq on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
dnief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google civilian inmate labor camp program bill hr 645
Stryffe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnief wrote:

Hell that's some of the best news I've seen in a long while.
dnief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stryffe wrote:
dnief wrote:

Hell that's some of the best news I've seen in a long while.

There will come a time in the near future that our police, intelligence community, and military have to decide if they want to uphold the constitution or put innocent people in labor camps.

The Hitler style regime is here and it aims to stay.
Stryffe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a time will come when you need help from the government, I look forward to that day.

Stop looking at the one bad thing and look at the good in that bill. Active and closed bases could now be set up to house people relocated due to some disaster.

People not having to live on the street means they can be put to work rebuilding their own homes faster.

Also why not make the crooks in jails build stuff on and off military bases?
We provide for them, they live on our dime, we should make something off of their crime and maybe they could learn a trade.
Innania

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add that his spending is not unprecedented. The 3.6 trillion dollar budget includes defense and military spending. Bush NEVER included any kind of military spending in his budgets. Bush's '08 year budget adds up to about 4.7 trillion after military spending.

I'm not saying that Obama's plan is spending on all good things, but it's actually a decrease in spending.
Teklan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school email gives random quotes of the day and I happened to look today haha...

Quote:
We are generally the better persuaded by the reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others.
- Blaise Pascal
IoneMonk
no YOU shut up!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one reason why, maybe a big reason, that the "right" has, at a minimum, some credibility issues with the American public (apart from its epic pooch screw of 8 years in power).

Quote:

Timothy Egan | A New York Times Blog
March 4, 2009, 10:00 pm
Fears of a Clown

Once upon a time, you could drive to the most remote reaches of the United States and escape Rush Limbaugh. But from the Mogollon Mountains of New Mexico to the Badlands of South Dakota, where only the delicious twang of a country tune or the high-pitched pleadings of a lone lunatic came over the AM dial, there is now the Mighty El Rushbo.

As someone who spends a lot of time on the road, I used to find Limbaugh to be an obnoxious but entertaining companion, his eruptions more reliable than Old Faithful. But now that Limbaugh has become something else — the face of the Republican Party, by a White House that has played him brilliantly — he has been transformed into car-wreck-quality spectacle, at once scary and sad.

Behold:

The sweaty, swollen man in the black, half-buttoned shirt who ranted for nearly 90 minutes Saturday at the Conservative Political Action Conference. He reiterated his desire to see the president of his country fail. He misstated the Constitution’s intent while accusing President Obama of “bastardizing” the document. He made fun of one man’s service in Vietnam, to laughter.
INSERT DESCRIPTION(J. Scott Applewhite/Associated Press) Rush Limbaugh.

David Letterman compared him to an Eastern European gangster. But he looked more like a bouncer at a strip club who spent all his tips on one bad outfit. And for the Republican Party, Limbaugh has become very much a vice.

Smarter Republicans know he is not good for them. As the conservative writer David Frum said recently, “If you’re a talk radio host and you have five million who listen and there are 50 million who hate you, you make a nice living. If you’re a Republican party, you’re marginalized.”

Polling has found Limbaugh, a self-described prescription-drug addict who sees America from a private jet, to be nearly as unpopular as Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who damned America in the way that Limbaugh has now damned the nation’s newly elected leader. But Republicans just can’t quit him. So even poor Michael Steele, the nominal head of the Republican Party who dared to criticize him, had to grovel and crawl back to the feet of Limbaugh.

Some expected more mettle from Steele. After all, this rare African-American Republican won his post after defeating a candidate who submitted the parody song from Limbaugh’s show: “Barack the Magic Negro.”

Race is an obsession with Limbaugh, one of the threads I noticed on those long drives on country roads.

When Colin Powell endorsed Obama during the campaign, Limbaugh said it was entirely because of race. After the election, Powell said the way for the party, which has been his home, to regain its footing was to say the Republican Party must stop “shouting at the world.”

In 2003, Limbaugh said quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media wanted a black to succeed. Over the next six years, McNabb threw for nearly 150 touchdowns and went to a Super Bowl.

And Limbaugh launched the current battle when he said of Obama: “We are being told that … we have to bend over, grab the ankles, bend over forward, backward, whichever, because his father was black, because this is the first black president.”

Translation: submit sexually to a black man because “someone” is telling us all to. Who? Which leaders of the Democratic Party have made such a claim? Which opinion-makers? But therein lies the main tactic of Limbaugh, an old demagogue technique: create a straw man, then tear it down. The latest example was Saturday, when Limbaugh presented himself as the defender of capitalism, liberty and unfettered free markets. Obama, he has said since, is waging a “war on capitalism.”

There is a war, all right. We are witnessing the worst debacle of unfettered capitalism in our lifetime brought on by — you got it, capitalism at its worst. It cannibalized itself. Government, sad to say, had nothing to do with it — except for criminal neglect of oversight.

Now that government has been forced to the rescue, just who is insisting on taxpayer bailouts? Who is in line for handouts? Who is saying that only government can save capitalism? The very leaders of unregulated markets who injected this poison into the economy, the very plutocrats that Limbaugh celebrates.

And, of course, let us never forget that the bailouts of banks and insurance companies were initiated by the Republican president Limbaugh defended for eight years.

Of late, Limbaugh has wondered why he has trouble with women. His base is white, male, Republican — people the party has to stop pandering to if it hopes to govern soon.

It’s little wonder that the thrice-married Limbaugh, who uses “femi-Nazi,” “info-babe” and “PMSNBC” (Get it? The network is full of women suffering pre-menstrual cramps, ha-ha), among his monikers for women, can’t get a date with that demographic.

For Democrats, this is all going to plan. It was James Carville and associates who first cooked up associating Limbaugh with the opposition, as Politico reported. Then on Sunday, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel said Limbaugh was the “voice and the intellectual force and energy behind the Republican Party.”

Limbaugh played his role, ever the fool. A brave Republican could have challenged him, could have had a “have you no shame” moment with him, giving the party some other identity, some spine. Instead, they caved — from Steele, to the leaders in the House, Eric Cantor and Mike Pence, to Gov. Bobby Jindal, who would be ridiculed by Limbaugh for his real first name, Piyush, were he a Democrat.

You could almost hear their teeth clattering in fear of the all-powerful talk radio wacko, the denier of global warming, the man who said Bill Clinton’s economic policies would fail just before an unprecedented run of prosperity.

But Limbaugh has a fear of his own. If people see him purely as an “entertainer,” as Steele suggested, he will be exposed for what he is: a clown with a very large audience.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Republican senators on Thursday thwarted Democratic leaders' efforts to pass a heavily debated $410 billion bill that would fund most government operations this year.

Because of the impasse, the government will run out of money for most of its operations on Friday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: