Appotus Dominus Appotus Dominus
.: The Drunken Masters of Vazaelle :.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capt Kirk for president!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearmerfudd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Capt Kirk for president! Reply with quote

and people thought we was chokin and jokin... the universe will be safe with James Tiberius Kirk at the helm of Confederation central!
~~~~~~~~~~~
William Shatner to boldly go for Governor General [kinky-linky]
* April 22, 2010 1:20 PM CBC.ca
* By Sarah Liss

William Shatner's worn a lot of hats over the course of his half-century career. The septuagenarian Montreal native has been a Starfleet commander, a Shakespearean actor, a spoken-word recording artist, a published author and a shill for everything from Loblaws to All Bran. And now a tenacious group of online Shatner fans are hoping to add "Governor General of Canada" to the list of the mellifluous-voiced man's accomplishments.

The Facebook fan page "Help Nominate William Shatner for Governor General" launched on March 22, 2010. (Not coincidentally, that happened to be the day the erstwhile Captain Kirk turned 79.) Just a month later, over 11,000 members subscribed to the cause. (At press time, membership stood at 11, 543 Facebook users.) It's an impressive show of support that's growing by the minute.

The tone of the page is playful -- "It's time to back the Shat," reads a line in their info box -- but these folks are committed to their goal. Sure, Facebook fan pages are often the site of tongue-in-cheek tomfoolery (see: the campaign to earn a pickle more fans than Nickelback), but as the founder of this initiative explains in the mission statement, the social networking platform can play a significant role in bringing communities together and bringing about real change:

Facebook has become a political force in Canada. When average Canadians started creating pages to protest the government's decision to prorogue parliament, our MPs took notice. I believe if we get enough support for this page, the Conservative government will listen and give us the viceregal representative we deserve.The Governor General's position is largely ceremonial and I can think of no Canadian who would possibly make the most of those grandiose moments as the great William Shatner. So please, become a fan of this page, tell your friends about this campaign and start writing those letters to your Member of Parliament. Together, we can make this happen.

As a Toronto Sun story noted yesterday, the Facebook Shatnerites aren't alone in their efforts to land the man a Governor General's appointment. The community-oriented online news forum The Mark has included the Shat in their list of 10 prominent Canadians who deserve to be the next G.G.

For his part, Shatner seems to have taken this campaign in stride. On Monday, he posted a characteristically goofy response on Twitter: "I'm being drafted by various groups to run for Governor General. Would they accept me if I campaign for salmons' rights? My best, Bill."

If nothing else, the man's current attitude toward his hypothetical Governor Generalship is markedly more positive than the last time it was suggested he assume the post. About a year ago, a fan urged Shatner to put forward his name for the position. He pooh-poohed the notion and insisted he'd much rather be elected Prime Minister.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same hoopla started last year, and here he responded:

"As prime minister, I can lead Canada into even greater exploits so, therefore, I must — with my deepest thanks — turn down your honourable intent to advance me as governor general," he wrote.

"Besides which, I don't have time to be governor general."
Bearmerfudd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innania wrote:
The same hoopla started last year, and here he responded:

"As prime minister, I can lead Canada into even greater exploits so, therefore, I must — with my deepest thanks — turn down your honourable intent to advance me as governor general," he wrote.

"Besides which, I don't have time to be governor general."

yeah... a hilarious response last year when asked this question
he replied saying that he would rather be prime minister [more sinister then minister] then Governor General...
...this is Canada... were presidents aka Governor Generals.. are selected not elected...
and we all have fun at other nations expenses...

besides, if not him... then who is the most worthy Canuck to lead a free Galaxy!
and when theirs some Klingon's circling Uranus...
who else is better smack the crap outta those varmits.

also, beam me up Scotty... will be replaced by the phrase;
beam me up your highness [he'll be the Queens representative]
and the Canada arm on the ISS will finaly be renamed the "Canadian Talon" and finaly... Canada will be groovy...

hey....
ya think that if we threw a party people would actually come this time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: