Appotus Dominus Appotus Dominus
.: The Drunken Masters of Vazaelle :.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AD New or Old, Darkfall Anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xorne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that I understand, but how does the game reward that?
brenl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me kinda of original EQ, running back to a naked body. Someone yelling at you to loot and scoot. The good old days... Sad

Some people are just good at masking ignorance as brilliance.
dunnodoncare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUll PVP games tend to have issues with antisocial behavior. There is no punishment for healing the enemy during a battle (darkfall allows this). There are no names over people's heads, and any spell you cast or weapon you wield will harm or heal those near you, your side or another. This favors those who just don't care who they hurt. There may be faction consequences but when a person can be your cleric, let you die, loot your gear and walk away I would say that antisocial behavior will have a huge effect on how fun the game actually is.

As a skill based game, gear isn't that important. But what happens when you have all the skills maxed? There is nothing to look forward to until there is an expansion to add more skills.

There are some interesting aspects to this game but I really don't think it will be fun to play. Not to mention that the game being in development for 7 years at this point is enough to raise some suspicions.

Medding.
Xorne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griefing is always a problem in sandboxes game like DF. We use to have a lot of people abusing the system in place in Meridian 59 to heal or purify friendly with mules, mules that we in turn could not kill. Also used low hp character to harass the colored player in our guild. You can't have the perfect system in place to allow at the same time playing freedom and enforce the good behavior. If I wanted to I could probably find a way to grief you if we played Tetris together. Having played games where harassment and abuse was rampant I can't really say it was bad. Don't get me wrong, I was extremely pissed every time people were using cheap trick against me or my friends, but you just have to use that as psychic fuel to keep you going and give you more determination to get those suckers back!

As for the skills in DF, you won't be able to master all skills. I saw a good analogy about that the other day; "Let say you have a bag and you are trying to climb the everest. Every time you climb 1 foot you add an apple to your bag. At first it's quite easy, you go up pretty damn quick but after a while the climbing angle get stepper and you are getting more and more apples into that bag. You might reach half the mountain in relatively good time but then after that it starts to get extremely heavy to carry all those apples." What that means is that there is a softcap system in place to prevent people from reaching max skills. You will have the freedom to choose what you want to train and even unlearn the skills that sucks or that you don't use.

The only advantage the hardcore players will have in DF is more playing experience and a more versatile character. If you are a ptp you just have to focus on a set of skills and you will be able to compete. Then over time you add more versatility to your character.
CaNDeRouS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have skill deterioration, for example if you want to use a 2 handed weap, you simply do that till you are good at it, if you then decide that sucks, then you can start training archery or magic and your 2 handed skill will begin to decline
CaNDeRouS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after reading some of the BETA review on http://beta.thenoobcomic.com/df_preview/intro.html i am even more psyched, the way she describes the PvP encounters is great
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: