Appotus Dominus Appotus Dominus
.: The Drunken Masters of Vazaelle :.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B.C. toddler lost in Yukon gets to keep dog he followed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearmerfudd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: B.C. toddler lost in Yukon gets to keep dog he followed Reply with quote

ya just gotta love stories like this, the evenings have been cold up here this past week, getting into the single digets at night...
this child is lucky to have survived... what a great dog!

B.C. toddler lost in Yukon gets to keep dog he followed
Last Updated: Saturday, September 5, 2009 | 2:27 PM PT
CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/09/05/bc-lost-toddler-yukon-dog.html
Searchers find toddler who had wandered away from a campsite near Tay Creek, about 50 kilometres north of Ross River, Yukon.

Searchers found a toddler who had wandered away from a campsite near Tay Creek, about 50 kilometres north of Ross River, Yukon. (CBC)

A two-year-old boy lost in the Yukon bush overnight after wandering away from his family's campsite will get to keep the dog he followed.

The toddler, identified only as Kale, wandered away from a campsite north of Ross River, Yukon, on Thursday.

The boy, from Kamloops, B.C., apparently trailed after a dog, which stayed with him throughout his 25-hour adventure.

Mike Bondarchuk was among many searchers, including Mounties, search-and-rescue experts and volunteers from the nearby community of Ross River.

He said a helicopter pilot, using infrared technology, spotted Kale.

"I guess he had spotted some kind of heat. So he got one of the crews … to go over and check and they did a walk and, sure enough, there was the little boy standing there and the dog was with him."

Bondarchuk said the boy seemed to be doing well.

"He just wanted some juice. He was pretty dehydrated there. I guess this dog took pretty good care of him."

Police say it's likely the boy survived by cuddling up with the dog, Koda, to keep warm through the night.

Koda's owner, Kim Dolan, said it's amazing the two made it out safe and sound.

"From what the parents have said, they're just total outdoors people and he was in his element, the little guy … with a guardian angel of course."

Dolan said she was happy to let the boy keep the dog.

"We gave Koda to them because he, obviously, helped play a big part in making sure the baby survived."

Dolan said her own kids weren't immediately keen on the idea of giving their dog away.

"I have two children, two boys of my own, that were kind of upset about my decision [to give the dog away] until they met the family … and understood the situation a little better," she said.

"I think they feel very happy that the dog will have a lovely home. I'm sure he'll be spoiled completely and live a long, happy life."

The family was believed to be resting in a hotel in Ross River on Saturday.
With files from The Canadian Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: