Appotus Dominus Appotus Dominus
.: The Drunken Masters of Vazaelle :.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conversations from the Heart...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Innania

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Conversations from the Heart... Reply with quote

October 11 is National Comming Out Day. If we know it or not, we all have GLBTQ community members in our lives. The HRC has put together some great videos of "Conversations" between various people and the GLBTQ people in their lives. Not only are some of the stories very moving, but they help show ways that we can all help the people around us feel more accepted.

Conversation: Ministers and Congregant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFXCM5ZqTjg

Conversation: Two Soldiers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVdEfoVn_Q

Conversation: A Rabbi and Congregant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erlcG317qMQ

Conversation: A Teacher and Student
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4_BXpTOWqU

Conversation: Mother and Son
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_DTCt80yEc

Conversation: Family with a Transgendered Parent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyB3TXr2Hi0
Stryffe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming out of what?
Innania

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stryffe wrote:
Coming out of what?

The closet Smile
Stryffe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?
Innania

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stryffe wrote:
Why?

Why not?
Stryffe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some closets bigger than my house.
Water

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they have "go the fuck back in the closet" day? I dont care what two (or more) consenting adults do in that closet.

IoneMonk
no YOU shut up!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will they have "go the fuck back in the closet" day? I dont care what two (or more) consenting adults do in that closet.

Until as recently as six years ago, when Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003) was handed down, your government appeared to care and could criminally prosecute those consenting adults in that closet.

Today, people that you and I know, that everyone knows, constantly face losing jobs, military careers, custody of their children, housing and countless other rights and benefits most of us take for granted, because they have the courage to live open, authentic lives as who they are.

18 years ago this October 31st I lost my best law school friend, my moot court partner, the Editor and Chief of our Law Review and a brilliant legal mind committed to social justice. We knew him for almost a year, partied together, swapped stories and bitched about law school, when one afternoon he "came out" to my wife and me in a dark little bar in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It was 1985.

R.I.P. Kevin, my friend. We will never forget you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bein' gay was against the law? Ouch.
Stryffe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ione, I'm sorry for you lose man and anyone else that has lost anyone. It's always hard.

Ok here we go with my straight white male of a poor family that is now middle class rant on the subject... sorta.

Short of wedding anniversaries, mother and father's days and all those crap holidays that can be shared by anyone straight or gay, white or black, the idea of a day, week month even an hour of my time set aside for the use of one type of people bugs the hell out of me.

We do not need a national coming out day. Am I'm descended from Africans month or a we were Europeans once week. We will never have equality if we keep looking for and promoting our differences.

Who you love is your business and I feel if two men or women want to be married under the law they should be allowed to. Protest, use the law to your advantage, keep fighting for equal rights, but stop asking to be treated differently.
Velnarin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to an extent with that. I don't know that it makes any difference though. Whether they have it or not, it's not likely to phase out gay-haters at a different rate. If it makes them happy, that's cool. We can all use another excuse to celebrate these days.
Innania

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stryffe wrote:

Who you love is your business and I feel if two men or women want to be married under the law they should be allowed to. Protest, use the law to your advantage, keep fighting for equal rights, but stop asking to be treated differently.

I don't care about different treatment, I just would be happy with the same treatment.

The state of Florida (with the exception of a few metro areas) allows businesses to fire you if they suspect you are gay. You dont have to say you are gay, and they don't have to have proof. You get to be jobless, and you dont even get to collect unemployment.

Lucky for me I work in Orange County, one of the few areas with laws forbidding that.
Xorne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stryffe wrote:
We will never have equality if we keep looking for and promoting our differences.

You nailed it on the head. People get along fine until you keep pointing out their differences. That creates a social pressure point and we know how people are easily influenced by social pressure. We have to focus on things that bound everyone together if we want a healthy society.
Water

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IoneMonk wrote:
Quote:

Until as recently as six years ago, when Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003) was handed down, your government appeared to care and could criminally prosecute those consenting adults in that closet.

Today, people that you and I know, that everyone knows, constantly face losing jobs, military careers, custody of their children, housing and countless other rights and benefits most of us take for granted, because they have the courage to live open, authentic lives as who they are.

18 years ago this October 31st I lost my best law school friend, my moot court partner, the Editor and Chief of our Law Review and a brilliant legal mind committed to social justice. We knew him for almost a year, partied together, swapped stories and bitched about law school, when one afternoon he "came out" to my wife and me in a dark little bar in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It was 1985.

R.I.P. Kevin, my friend. We will never forget you.

I come from the state in which you can not have sex with the lights on... even in the daytime ... by law. (TY Sen. Helms, if my wife looked like his I would have fought to get that law passed as well). So stupid laws arent anything new to me. BTW sodomy is illegal here too but I cant remember the last time I heard of it being enforced in a non-rape/sex offense case.

IoneMonk
no YOU shut up!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with the Hero tag on FARK for this guy.

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/10/20/86-year-old-wwii-vet.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IoneMonk wrote:

Wow, that is an amazing man who has done a LOT in his life and for his country.
Stryffe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely awesome.
Jazzmasta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IoneMonk wrote:

Wow. Talk about a powerful speech. And you damn well can't argue with him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow indeed.
furlibusea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before becoming a teacher I spent most of 15 years working in professional theatre. We used to have a game whenever you met another theatre person. We would ask about all the other theatres they had worked at and find mutual friends. If they had been working for any length of time we could always find someone in common, because it turns out the world of theatre is pretty small. It has probably been a game played for millennia. Theatre has always been transient.

Some time in the late 80s or early 90s we stopped playing the game. It just plain hurt too much, because the game started to be who was dead.

Two of the men I remember that stand out particularly for the purposes of this discussion:

Kevin was thrown out by his evangelical parents when he was 16 because he was gay. I don't know how he managed to finish high school and get a diploma in costuming but he did. I know that some of the time he was doing it he was homeless, and I suspect some of the ways he payed for food and rent during those years were not exactly legal. But he made it. By his early thirties he had a job as a cutter for a theatre. He had had a partner for 10 years who had a respectable job and they bought a house. They were pretty solidly middle class with no help from much of anyone.

When they were diagnosed with AIDs I think it went pretty fast for Kevin. It kind of did in those days, and had had some hard living in some of those years. When he died the family that had disposed of him got the house and all of the savings because they managed to convince a judge that the partner had had undue influence. I believe both their names were on the mortgage, and it is entirely possible there was a will. The partner was sick and didn't have funds to fight it. He died broke and on welfare about three months later.

It has nothing to do with special benefits. Someone can get married in Vegas while drunk to someone they met 5 minutes earlier and they have more protections under the law than my friends who have been together for decades, and who have done everything they can legaly do to protect their partnership.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: