Appotus Dominus Appotus Dominus
.: The Drunken Masters of Vazaelle :.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Veterans Day/USCM Birthday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stryffe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Veterans Day/USCM Birthday Reply with quote

Nov 10th 1775 in Philadelphia the first unit of US Marines were formed. Through the years the Marines have fought in every major conflict the country has been in. So feared were they in WWI they were given the name Teufel Hunden or Devil Dogs. In Somalia they were called White Sleeves by the locals because of the way they rolled their shirt sleeves compared to the other branches. The Somali people made it a point to distinguish Marines from others. US Marines are revered around the world. I hold my time spent as a Marine as the greatest thing I ever did in my life, outside of making my 2 little girls. So on Nov. 10 every year I pour a glass of something with bite and toast all those before and those that will come after.

History tells us that on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 WWI ended with the German signing of the Armistice. This is one of the few nonreligious days celebrated around the globe. Armistice Day, Remembrance Day, Anzac Day, or Volkstrauertag. While not all on the same day, most countries around the world have a day to remember those that faught for their country. So that all the men and women that died in order to make their country what it is will never be forgotten. Yes their names may fade but their deeds are the things of legend.
Today as you go about your daily routine, drink your coffee, watch your TV, take a warm bath, take a minute and think about the people that work and died so you could have those items, or those in harms way right now that don't have Tv, warm showers or good food.
If you are feeling really novel read about some of the exploits of Medal of Honor winners. Some of the things these people did you couldn't believe.

Someone from the past
Audie Murphy
Quote:
Citation: Second Lt. Murphy commanded Company B, which was attacked by six tanks and waves of infantry. 2d Lt. Murphy ordered his men to withdraw to a prepared position in a woods, while he remained forward at his command post and continued to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. Behind him, to his right, one of our tank destroyers received a direct hit and began to burn. Its crew withdrew to the woods. 2d Lt. Murphy continued to direct artillery fire, which killed large numbers of the advancing enemy infantry. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, 2d Lt. Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer, which was in danger of blowing up at any moment, and employed its .50 caliber machine gun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to German fire from three sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused their infantry attack to waver. The enemy tanks, losing infantry support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every available weapon to eliminate 2d Lt. Murphy, but he continued to hold his position and wiped out a squad that was trying to creep up unnoticed on his right flank. Germans reached as close as 10 yards, only to be mowed down by his fire. He received a leg wound, but ignored it and continued his single-handed fight until his ammunition was exhausted. He then made his way back to his company, refused medical attention, and organized the company in a counterattack, which forced the Germans to withdraw. His directing of artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy; he killed or wounded about 50. 2d Lt. Murphy's indomitable courage and his refusal to give an inch of ground saved his company from possible encirclement and destruction, and enabled it to hold the woods which had been the enemy's objective.

Someone from the present and someone I served with as a Member of 7th Marine Regiment.
Jason L Dunham.
Quote:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as Rifle Squad Leader, 4th Platoon, Company K, Third Battalion, Seventh Marines (Reinforced), Regimental Combat Team 7, First Marine Division (Reinforced), on 14 April 2004. Corporal Dunham's squad was conducting a reconnaissance mission in the town of Karabilah, Iraq, when they heard rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire erupt approximately two kilometers to the west. Corporal Dunham led his Combined Anti-Armor Team towards the engagement to provide fire support to their Battalion Commander's convoy, which had been ambushed as it was traveling to Camp Husaybah. As Corporal Dunham and his Marines advanced, they quickly began to receive enemy fire. Corporal Dunham ordered his squad to dismount their vehicles and led one of his fire teams on foot several blocks south of the ambushed convoy. Discovering seven Iraqi vehicles in a column attempting to depart, Corporal Dunham and his team stopped the vehicles to search them for weapons. As they approached the vehicles, an insurgent leaped out and attacked Corporal Dunham. Corporal Dunham wrestled the insurgent to the ground and in the ensuing struggle saw the insurgent release a grenade. Corporal Dunham immediately alerted his fellow Marines to the threat. Aware of the imminent danger and without hesitation, Corporal Dunham covered the grenade with his helmet and body, bearing the brunt of the explosion and shielding his Marines from the blast. In an ultimate and selfless act of bravery in which he was mortally wounded, he saved the lives of at least two fellow Marines. By his undaunted courage, intrepid fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty, Corporal Dunham gallantly gave his life for his country, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service

Semper Fidelis
DBAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEMPER FI
Healuz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applebys resturaunt is giving free meals to any veteran past or present today.

Fastios
Stryffe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Healuz wrote:

Fastios

I'll have to go hit up the local branch then. Wait.. no.. damn don't have one.
Innania

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney gives active military a free 5 day parkhopper, but that's normal.

It's "Rememberance Day" for our neighbors to the north as well if I recall correctly.
Mandaar
Guild N00bert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am embarassed I don't know all those in this guild serving in USA's or another countries' military in this guild, but I'd like to say thank you for doing what you do for for us/the world.

Actually, a list would be good. My brain is dead, I know Stryffe is serving, who else?
Stryffe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stryffe has served. I'm a contractor now serving those that serve =).
saeinya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all the veterns and active military in the guild (((hugs))) Thank you!!
Charotica

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... I add my thanks to everyone here who has served, are serving now, and will serve in the future. I include my appreciation to those of you with close family members who also protected / protecting all of us.

My respect and gratitude to you... *Hugs* always.
Hamerr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all those that serve and have served and my thought go out to those who are currently in harms way. I too am currently serving been in the Navy for just over 22 years now

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as the leadership knows and a few otheres that i told i will be serving shortly.. i ship out for paris island january 1st 2010.

Semper Fi and god speed
Water

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stryffe wrote:
Healuz wrote:

Fastios

I'll have to go hit up the local branch then. Wait.. no.. damn don't have one.

Its called Hajiby's all you can eat couscous!!!

Bearmerfudd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandaar wrote:
I am embarassed I don't know all those in this guild serving in USA's or another countries' military in this guild, but I'd like to say thank you for doing what you do for for us/the world.

Actually, a list would be good. My brain is dead, I know Stryffe is serving, who else?

I'm retired RCN
did my time in hell, and then some.
Huzzah to all the guild Veterans may you find the peace you so rightly deserve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: