Appotus Dominus Appotus Dominus
.: The Drunken Masters of Vazaelle :.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Words from a gimp Pally

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wearin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Words from a gimp Pally Reply with quote

Well not sure where to begin on this but will just say what is going thru my mind.
I am a guest in AD. Not really ready to even be an app due to lack of aa's and gear but I am trying to make an effort. I enjoy playing EQ because of the social contact with other people who enjoy the same thing. When anyone who apps to a guild has to fill out their application so I am going to ask the guild some questions that are on my mind to help me with my decision if being an AD guildie is going to benefit me and the people I am going to get to know.

How do you feel you are a benefit to your guild since you have been guilded with them?
Do you feel that you are a help when needed?
Where do you see this guild in 6 months from now?
Are you a positive influence to everyone for the joy and satifaction of the game?
What do you want out of this game and guild?

Im going to be honest with this and im sorry if im going to offend anyone I have no intentions on that.

I have guilded and played with some of the people in AD. I like them and I enjoy playing with them they are a wonderful people. They have dedication to the game. But when I am logged on I have seen people say they need help or progression, but not alot of people seem to want to jump in and help.

Do you want your guildies geared for the raids to progress?

If you cant help them with things they need than what is the point of trying to reach a goal? Unforntately I have seen alot of people deguild since the merger. Some before the merger. Have you asked yourself if you may have been a reason why they quit. Everyone is in control of themselves and you will always have an issue about something but should it get to the point where someone leaves guild and starts a chain reaction to where there is no progression because people are not happy with the game and have to find enjoyment somewhere else.

I really dont know if me coming back and playing EQ is a good choice. Alot is reasons is saying No because I am struggling with playing with people who are far more advanced than I am. So is it a good decision to app when I am not even geared for the content? Probably not. So my decision is should i stay apped or pull my app and wait till Im more geared and have progressed more?

Alot of a persons decisions are based on the way they see things. I see alot of people only grouping with the same people all the time. I see the same people helping out all the time. So with this in mind do you think that some people have left the guild because they feel left out? No one is left out at raids so why should it be in different in groups when not raiding?

I have seen the same thing when I played in TF and FA so its not just AD. I honestly do not see any guild progressing if the guild is not a team on and off the field. If one falls they all fall. I know alot of this guild already because I have watched Klone raid and group. You all do not really know me just a few people. If I am going to take the time to play EQ and lose 4 hours a night 5 days a week for raiding than I want to be sure I am going to be in a place that is willing to except me. And Im sure that alot of other people feel this way. Why waste our RL time if your not going to care or help?

I feel for the leaders of any guild and everyone else who has not only put in time for raids, but for the boards, the grouping time to help others progress, and to keep up with content. That is dedication to make the game more enjoyable for us who dont use that RL time.

I am sorry that alot of members have left which really will hurt till things pick back up. I will do the best I can to get where I should be to help everyone. I dont want people to log on for raid and hate playing cuz there is no progression. Negitive people dont make the game fun. I am sorry for those who do log on and leave when they find out we dont have enough people for raid content. Are you benefiting the guild by doing this? DKP even if you dont like the content at least like the people when your on. Thats still cool. Have fun. We dont all sit down for a game of cards and a beer we are sitting down for a game of EQ and a beer (rum & coke). People are cool even if the game sucks. Thats what this game is about. Bringing people together to enjoy each others company away from the RL drama.

I want to say thank you to everyone for putting up with my gimp ass and thank you for helping me to get a little farther. It is a big help and stepping stone for me and will benefit the guild when I get to the point I need to be at. I hate 3 boxing. My son keeps messing up the rogues stuff. But I will do what I have to.
Velnarin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AD has never really been on the group-heavy side of things. (EQ itself hasn't been in a long time.) It's been chuggin' along for 8 years until this ridiculous GoD-esque dumbshit expansion came out. It's been successful with not much grouping because we actually require people to be pretty functional before they app. Being a guest is a special case.

I've always considered the reason for not much grouping that not a lot of our core members can do much outside of raids that will help improve them. A lot of people only have time to log on for raids, nothing more. Most of us are working men and women who come home exhausted but they saddle up and drive the workhorse anyway.

This is summer, a notorious quiet time for a lot of guilds. It's nice outside (well, if you don't live in Texas like I do) and a lot of those people who would normally be playing more often would rather go out and kiss the sun than hang in group content that isn't worthwhile for them. And even if it is.

I personally believe everyone should help our lesser-geared people out as much as they possibly can. I salute those who do and I help where I can, too.

But. There aren't many more guilds who go out and farm UF group gear all the time (as you realize). There are a few, but most aren't really raid guilds. Most aren't really "guilds" at all; they're cliques within guilds. The best way to get a progression group is to start one proactively. Send tells. Keep campaigning. With the server merge, you should be able to fill in some blank spots through the use of general chat.

As for those leaving, there aren't so many lately. Two members that I can recall in two weeks and their reasons were as far from "there isn't much grouping here" as it gets. The rest, a handful of apps mostly which I booted myself because they wouldn't log the fook on or talk to anybody about why.

Anyhow. There's also the fact a lot of people don't read guild chat when they're doing something. Again, the power of a tell is immense. I encourage anyone to use it if they need help. We're all friends here. No one's going to bite.

We loooove you.
Robag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being fairly new in this guild I would like to address some of the points you're bringing up.

1.- I have benefited more from being in AD than they benefited from having accepted me, until a few weeks ago.

2.- I, and my group, go out of our way to help anyone that requests it.

3.- I see the guild kicking arse and taking names.

4.- Heck no man! I am a member of AD!! I am the 2nd biggest arsebutt you've ever met.

5.- I want to progress, get geared up, raid, but most importantly just be with my friends.

On the matter of grouping: My Drood wench and myself have played as a group from the very start, over 11 years ago. We made a point of meeting people that could spent as much, (or as little), time playing as we do. We also made it a rule that you had to commit to a play schedule.
We've played with the same group for several years before either the game or RL broke us apart. But grouping is up to you, if you don't make an effort to get to know people it just ain't gonna fall in your lap!
Xorne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thing I've learn playing EQ and the mentality of gamers in generals is that if you want people to invite you to their group they must have a reason to. In part I am talking about your class of course, having too much of 1 type or none of another makes fragile groups, but what I mean is that the players in that group will only invite you if they either (a) Want to (b) Need to.

There is nothing you can do about the Need part, but you certainly can do something about the Want part. Normally people who play a lot outside of raid are people with lots of time, Gamers if you will. Gamers wants to get shit done (normally) and don't like when the XP don't flow or objective xyz aren't being accomplished. So, the best thing you can do in my opinion is to learn your class in super depth. You need to know everything and then you have to focus on being the best player you can with the character you've got. You have to know the game, know what to do when shit hit the fan, where to be and how to be most efficient in everything you do.

Then people will start to notice on raid nights how you handle yourself with the job that is assign to you. That obviously is not the whole recipe for success. You also need something else. Communication and a sense of humor. If people are gonna spend 3 hours with you grouping and grinding something for xp or getting flags / keys they want to enjoy themselves while they work. You have to learn how to be funny and chat while you are being a Super Godly Master Of Your Class That Never Fails! Hard, I know. But people who are able to do it are the ones who never have problems finding a group.

Xorne's Moment of Zen®™
Kalamurv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was still playing hardcore, I could always get a group within minutes if I wanted, its based alot on your reputation as a player. When I logged in last, although my gear far overpowered the content I was trying to exp in, I couldnt get a group because noone knew who I was anymore. Shine in the exp groups you get, dont be a dick and you'll find groups just fall into your lap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: