Appotus Dominus Appotus Dominus
.: The Drunken Masters of Vazaelle :.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was fun, but it dont look good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Was fun, but it dont look good. Reply with quote

Got up this morning to get some work done, luckily I was able to complete it and send it off in time... I came back while the mail was sending to see my system totally locked up.

Rebooted to a no disk error.

Tried to do a recover on the HD, and no luck. Operating system was then installed on the D: drive and it boots up fine.

Looks like my primary drive has totally crashed. No power/spin up taking place on it. And naturally I have absolutely no backups.

I am totally besides myself trying to resolve this issue, but it doesnt look good at all. I have to concentrate on recovering my work files first, then I'll try the EQ files, but honestly it looks like thats not gonna happen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated... Operating system is XP, drives are serial IDE drives (matched).

Help
Mandaar
Guild N00bert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Hi,

I had this problem once. Make sure the power leads are hooked up to the C: drive. I actually had them come off once.

Besides that, I'm not certain how you pull info off a drive that cannot move it's mechanical parts.

I'm sure that people here have experience with this. I also suggest you post in the veterans section and tech support section of EQ boards.

There are other tech forums where people actually are helpful. I can't think of any off the top of my head, give me a second.
Auger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, new update...

Hard drive is total toast. I was able to get my working data off the hard drive by freezing it, but the EQ files are way too big to get fully copied.

I have a basic install of EQ, and am running the patcher... but the latest DL time shows 6 hours.

I'll bb soon as I can, but at this rate its gonna be a while, I still need to install my work programs, and they have priority.

I cya when I can cya...
Mandaar
Guild N00bert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Okay I had found a bunch of websites that deal with data recovery from a failed disk. If you didn't get a bunch of wierd noises before death, I was going to say check your cables.

But, if you're sure it's dead, then yeah, just get your work data and re-install.

Just start the patcher before you go to bed and you'll be gtg by morning.

Sorry that happened. I lost 3 hard drives in a 15 month period once. I feel your pain.
brenl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear Auger, hope to see you back soon

Some people are just good at masking ignorance as brilliance.
Auger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final update...

FYI... I ran a computer maintanance and phone support for computer for about 7 years... trust me the hard drive is gone.

Placing the HD in the freezer proves its gone...

It appears the bearings on the HD have finally toasted, freezing the drive allows it to spin up, without locking up (due to heat) for a small period of time. I was able to save my work files (thank God), but EQ wasnt so lucky. On top of all this, I have now lost approximately 4k mp3 files... and thats what hurts the most (I love my music).

I have new operating system installed on my secondary drive, and am in the process of updating everything. I may be on tonight, I may not... we'll see how it goes.

Thank you for all the responses.

Auger
Mandaar
Guild N00bert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: =( Reply with quote

Sorry that happened to you.

Hope we see you soon. If not, then saturday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: