Appotus Dominus Appotus Dominus
.: The Drunken Masters of Vazaelle :.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freedom of Speech
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dishi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Freedom of Speech Reply with quote

HE'S BACK--THE OWNER OF CASA D'ICE RESTAURANT

Casa D'Ice Restaurant

10 miles southeast of Pittsburgh in North Versailles, PA .

The owner changes the signs when he gets another idea...
Or just wants to make a political statement and WOW!

Dishi

Last edited by Dishi on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gillaian
Loading...please wait

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this guy has some serious misconceptions on what the true problems are in our country. It's like sneezing and blaming the first flower you come to for your allergy. I do agree to an extent on the gasoline issues he raised, but as far as the english and hispanic things I think he's simply a completely misguided person who doesnt' understand the hardships of immigration.

He speaks of himself being decendent from immigration and seems certain that his grandfather learned english, Ya I'd bet that he sat down day one and did that.
Maelria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I should point out that Dishi cut/pasted the signs and copied the intro from an email. She should have added:

DISCLAIMER- The following opinions are not a direct reflection of the poster and may be seen as ignorant or offensive (or both) to some.

While some of the comments on the sign are harsh and condescending, I think she posted it as a way of pointing out that at least someone has the backbone to post their opinion in such a public way. And a few of them are just damn funny, even if they are wrong as all hell.

Maelria Twinpoint
Teklan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't agree with half of his signs and causes frustration that I can't call him a moron in person. But I guess that is the reaction this guy is trying to get from some people and to draw any attention to his signs.

P.S. Spanish anthems arent in Mexico....they are across the sea in Spain Surprised
Mandaar
Guild N00bert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

I wrote a really long post, but its difficult to even begin to describe the problem with words. So just a few thoughts. I will just say that he's wrong about what the problem IS. He's a ferocious racist and can be immediately discounted. But, there is a problem.

Legal immigration is not wrong. Houston is a better city because of the incredible diversity. It's more energetic, more varied, and more entertaining.

The problem is that our idea of homeland security is a complete fabrication. Our idea that laws are absolute is a falsehood. Exploitation is the norm in my city. Looking the other way is how we go about our daily lives.

Anyone can enter this country and stay here indefinitely. No one can be asked for their green card or citizenship status here without UNBELIEVABLE amounts of evidence. And there are FAR FAR too few people to enforce such laws. Hell, we file our own accident reports in Houston. Why? So officers aren't faced with having to arrest an illegal alien on every fender bender. They can't keep up with all the work because of all the accidents. Laugh if you want. They discuss it pretty openly.

Anyone could be here and probably is. They are hired at half or less of what an American native would be paid, and they are hired just about everywhere. What are they going to do? Say no? When the huge economic boom ends in Houston, there will be a lot of unpleasantness. Because people will say "people are illegally working in the job I should have." They will be right. Whether you think it's fair or not, we either have laws or we do not.

We need to make up our mind as a country what ideals we are upholding. Are we secure? Are we open borders? Or are we just a bunch of fucking hypocrites? Unfortunately, number 3 is the answer.
IowaGnome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some deep beliefs about mexico and I'll keep them to myself.

I am an equal opportunity person in my work life as an employer, but in my personal life I'm allowed to be anything I want. I have a serious problem when I hear stories like in Arizona when they were playing the national anthem in freaking spanish.

Also, Mand is right we are a country full of hypocrites...but when my great grandfather entered this country in the very early 1900's after stowing away on a boat for weeks...he came here to find a life and learned learned the language and the customs of this country. He never had to give up his heritage from Sweden, but he remembered and appreciated the life that he was allowed to lead here. And you damned well never saw a Swedish flag on the back of one of his tractors. That's the one thing I think that is missing in current immigration. Not just Mexico but much of South American immigration here. I don't see that same attitude from immigrants I work with from other places like Africa. There is a deep appreciation for being here. I also wonder if that has something to do with the stigmas that are placed on hispanics in this country.

This guy is a blatant racist and likely is so to attract attention but some of the things he points out are things that most people are simply scared to say. I also think one of the great things about our country is that hes allowed to say it...just like people are allowed to play the national anthem in spanish.
carp75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who grew up here have a right to be pissed off at illegal immigration. I live in San Diego, CA, ask me how freakin pissed I am.

The signs are racist BUT PLEASE DO NOT FREAKIN USE THIS AS A REASON TO FEEL SORRY FOR ILLEGALS. JUST BECAUSE I WANT ENGLISH TO BE OUR NATIONAL LANGUAGE DOES ---NOT--- MAKE ME (AND EURY) A RACIST. I AM FREAKIN SICK OF HEARING MOSTLY FOREIGN LANGUAGE WHEN I LEAVE MY HOME. /mandaar style tirade off.

Puedo hablar espanol bien, pero no vivo en Mexico.

I compare our immigration problem to a weed in your garden. The "root" of the problem is our government, and the visible "weed" are the illegal immigrants. Everyone can complain about the weeds, but we need to remove the problem by the root.

~Carp
Dishi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the pics I agree with, some I feel are just plain ignorance, and some are humorous. I put it in the Humor section for a reason and hope nobody takes it really serious. Yes, like most people I only had a few minutes to put it up and NO I don't agree with it and it isn't a reflection of my opinions. I just figured if I was gonna put up one or two I might as well put up the whole shibang.

Dishi
Mandaar
Guild N00bert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Some of them are funny Dishi. And anything that sparks constructive discussion was a good post.
Healinyou
Guild N00bert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, posts that spark constructive shit...AND posts that make us laugh at Mandaar...they are all good.
Loading...please wait

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all us stupid crackers should get the fuck out! Except me and Cuebawl of course.
Cassra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: hrmm Reply with quote

I am spanish ..even though I am American, I have family in Mexico, and I must say, this thread pisses the shit outta me and anyone with any kind of Spanish background . It is racist , rude and a HUGE misconcetption of the truth. Don't blame the race, blame the country allowing immigration problems have the lead in this issue. Yes, we might have immigration problems, but also think how much the economy is helped as well. They cross the borders to buy our products, therefor paying the same taxes we do and increasing and bettering our economy. As far as jobs and ppl paying illegals less than Americans? Well screw that company and probably not worth working for. Hard working? Damn straight !!!

Pissed off with every goddammed racist bastard who talks shit about the race and not the country allowing this and not bothering to fix it.

Cass
carp75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Cass knows that we're on the same side on this debate in a lot of ways, we just come from two different cultures.

As a white male I've had to play the disability card just so I could get the benefits that illegal immigrants get (free emergency room care)... that's BS.

Yeah yeah I can be infuriated all I want, I know the gov't really doesn't care.

~Carp
Nefra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it entertained me dishi Smile thx!
brenl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: hrmm Reply with quote

Cassra wrote:
I am spanish ..even though I am American, I have family in Mexico, and I must say, this thread pisses the shit outta me and anyone with any kind of Spanish background . It is racist , rude and a HUGE misconcetption of the truth. Don't blame the race, blame the country allowing immigration problems have the lead in this issue. Yes, we might have immigration problems, but also think how much the economy is helped as well. They cross the borders to buy our products, therefor paying the same taxes we do and increasing and bettering our economy. As far as jobs and ppl paying illegals less than Americans? Well screw that company and probably not worth working for. Hard working? Damn straight !!!

Pissed off with every goddammed racist bastard who talks shit about the race and not the country allowing this and not bothering to fix it.

Cass

But all that undeclared income not being taxed is penalizing each and every one of us that pays taxes. Tax money that goes to fund schools, and many other programs...millions of dollars each year that we are missing out on that. For example, as horrific as it may seem to even talk about now, there is talk in NY of adding a near
$0.25 sales tax to gas per gallon to increase state revenues. Money that would easily be covered 100 times over if jobs weren't filled with illegals. It's a fine line to walk I understand, but where I am, it's not hard to tell that vast areas are filled with illegals. Poorly kept, run down apartments hold 3 or 4 times the amount of people that should. Driving property prices down further and further, you're damn right I'd be pissed if my house was next door to them. I just finally bought my first and hopefully last house, you can bet your sweet ass I checked and double checked average income, ethnicity make ups, percentage of students on lunch assistance programs, educational levels, the list goes on because I don't want the problem surrounding me, detracting from the quality of life of me and my family.

Some people are just good at masking ignorance as brilliance.
Auger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just plain funny.

The piddly amount of sales tax they pay doesnt make up for all the other hard working tax payers money and services they STEAL.

There are legal ways to come to this county... use them.

If they're here illegal, ship them all home. I dont care what color or nationalality they are. As far as I'm concerned they are criminals and deserve no better treatment.
Neferakhen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/sighs

I'm really frustrated because I had a really nice post and it got deleted.

The signs are plain dumb, albeit funny. Not because they are "oh so true" or because he's so courageous in speaking his mind. But, because it amuses me that in the 21st century people still feel like that.

I'm addressing a couple of topics from both the signs and the comments:

How can you expect someone to move to another country and just disregard what they were before? That whole flag behind the tractor comment really threw me off. As of yet, I don't have a car, but you better be damn sure that as soon as I get it, my nice Puerto Rican flag bumper sticker is going there. And the tile-- *gasps* in Spanish-- out in front of my apartment that says "Proud to be Puerto Rican", will remain there.

By US Federal law (at least the signs I've seen in Emergency Rooms in Puerto Rico-- haven't been in one in the US), EVERYONE, citizen or not, has the right to receive emergency medical care, regardless of their insurance. Follow ups, treatments and the like, are definitely not covered.

The constitution gives freedom of religion. That whole one nation under god, is not part of the law. Better luck next time.

The country was founded and developed, basically, by foreigners, who did not just speak English. Hence, there was never ONE language established. However, it's funny how, when the whole National Language debate arose, instead of making English the only language, they made multilingual documents... fancy that!

On a funny note:
Stephen Lynch wrote:

If I could be a Superhero,
I'd be Immigration Dude
I'd send all the foreigners back to their homes
For eating up all of our food
And taking our welfare and best jobs to boot
Like landscaping, dishwashing, picking our fruit
I'd pass lots of laws to get rid of their brood
Because I would be Immigration Dude.

I would like to see how many unemployed US citizens would take those jobs Twisted Evil --for minimum wage, which is more than double what illegals are usually paid... I wonder if this is more the government or the employers' fault, rather than the employee.

Also, let's not forget:

Tell me this is your country, just one more time.... Rolling Eyes

DISCLAIMER: I don't care what you end up thinking. But don't be so close minded. There will always be immigrants, illegal or legal, and they will continue to bother you, because they are not like you. We have to deal with you, so you better learn to deal with us. Oh, and if you don't like it, you don't have to talk to us
Neferakhen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm.. actually.. wtfuckever...

the name of his place is Casa D'Ice... he's just full of his own BS Rolling Eyes

Quote:
For 23 years, I was in the Ice Business and when I sold the business using my legal Italian Heritage, came the name
“Casa D' Ice” for “House of Ice”. I can not help it that the Spanish use is the same name for house. So, for those
who question my use of "Casa" when I am against illegal aliens, I hope this explains it.

LOL I really find him amusing
IowaGnome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second...so you were born and lived your whole life in PR? I certainly hope so because here's the problem I have.

If I start spouting off about how proud I am to be a German I get called a white supremacist or some kind of nazi. And fuck that anyway because I've lived my entire life within the borders of this fine country. I'm proud to be an American, and while ancestry is important to remember...if you were not a part of it why the fuck should I have to listen to you spout off about how proud you are of it? That's the real trouble I have. If you have so much pride in being from somewhere else...why aren't you there? Using the example of PR, most people aren't there because its a cesspool of corruption and poverty broken up by some very nice tourist destinations. Same thing with Mexico. You came to America because it's not that shithole of a country you left and yet somehow you want to start forcing our country into the toilet that Mexico is by pushing the cultural (or lack there of) intricacies of your country. Why the hell would you want to make this country more like the one that you left for a better life?

There is no winning this argument. I think legal immigration is an important part of this country. I think the vast cultures makes us better in many ways...but don't push it on others. Hell, my great grandfather stowed away on a boat to get from Sweden to the US. But when he got here he registered, learned the language from scratch, got his hands dirty and started farming, paid taxes, and still retained his heritage without making his German neighbors sick with his pride in being Swedish.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are basically on the same page just looking at it from different angles.

Even if I was born in the US, but came from a different background, you can't expect to let go of that if you were raised in a nationally proud family.

Illegal immigration is wrong in many many aspects, but it is not only done by people who want to take advantage of a situation, sometimes it is forced. There is a great thesis done by a political anthropologist (Eva Villalon) on trout farms and their impact on illegal aliens.

I don't go by double standards, if you are proud of your German heritage (you can be proud of being the grandson of Hitler for all I care), I'm happy. You should be proud of your heritage, the good and the bad. It is what made you what you are today. I don't cringe when I see another country's flag being waved in whatever situation.

If you are not trespassing or impeding my rights, why should I be against you? We are on the same boat together. Wave an Tanzanian flag while burning and laughing at other races, or wave a Canadian flag while doing the same, and then that's where I think it's wrong.

Know what I mean?

And, by the way, yes I was born and raised in PR. But even if I wasn't, I'm pretty sure that being raised by my parents I would still behave the same. I don't make anyone feel inferior because they're not Puerto Rican, but I embrace diversity.

Edit: The thesis is "Contested representations: the case of Mexican migrant workers in the US" by Eva Villalon-Soler. She deals with both legal and illegal immigrants in the same situation. It's migration between a small town of Mexico and a trout farm in PA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: