Appotus Dominus Appotus Dominus
.: The Drunken Masters of Vazaelle :.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Environmental Terrorism and the CA water shortage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carp75

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Environmental Terrorism and the CA water shortage Reply with quote

If you are all wondering why Southern California is going through a water shortage, an excerpt from a 12/07 LA Times story will tell you.

A federal court order Friday will cut water exports to Southern California next year by up to a third in a bid to save a tiny fish teetering at the brink of extinction in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

In an 11-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Oliver W. Wanger in Fresno said that the delta smelt – an endangered fish that exists only in the sprawling estuary that is the hub of the state’s water system – is in “imminent peril” without swift action.

Environmentalists said it remains to be seen if the ruling can help save the fish, whose population has plummeted as delta water exports have skyrocketed.

Kate Poole of the Natural Resources Defense Council called it a “step in the right direction.” But whether the cutback in water exports is enough to save the smelt, she added, “is anybody’s guess.”

California’s water managers, meanwhile, characterized Wanger’s ruling as the largest court-ordered supply reduction in California history – and bad news for anyone who turns on a tap.

“This court-ordered reduction will only place further hardship on water agencies throughout the state and ultimately consumers, businesses, farmers and the economy as a whole,” said Laura King Moon of State Water Contractors, which represents 27 agencies around California.

This morning, a yahoo.com headline reads, "Economic woes hold back effort to stop global warming."

Hopefully, the economic crisis will further raise awareness of the farce that is militant environmentalism.

If I had the resources, I would travel to the Sacramento delta in search of these fish. Then, I'd go caveman and use my bare hands and mouth to KILL AND EAT THEM ALL.

My non-caveman solution: Catch 10-100 of these stupid things... breed them in a fish sanctuary.. if they multiply, good...

For the record, I love animals, but I also know their place in this world.

Grrrrr....

~Carp
Teklan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest...I am kind of shocked to see a post that is pro-extinction of an animal. I would never wish another species to go extinct due to human interaction.
IoneMonk
no YOU shut up!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The California water shortage is simply the result of overdevelopment and WAY too many people cramming into a space, and ecosystem, that nature did not design to handle.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ione,

My post was not about overdevelopment, that is a whole new discussion. (edited, didn't word that good first time)

It is about the fact that solutions to problems continually affect those who are innocent. Our farmers are suffering, and with the economy as it is, it's just another blow to those who struggle paycheck to paycheck... just another contributor to the overall problem.

In 10 months they still haven't come up with a viable solution. That is showing how truly bureaucratic that process has been.

~Carp

Last edited by carp75 on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Xorne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something that can actually help making you more water independent. It is a little investment that can pay itself up in a year or so if you have to pay for your water either in bottles or from a tap meter. You'll only need to buy your shower water after that!

http://www.ecoloblue.com/en/home-office?location=feature_link
IowaGnome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty damned awesome. But 1400 dollars buys me a crap load of water ><. My water bill is less then 30 a month. Work out that math...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's usefulness is not the same for everyone. Me I pay 0$ for water so it's not about saving money. I wish I had the cash to buy one though because the water it produce is a lot better quality that what's coming out of the pipes. For all the thing it does the price isn't that bad, I remember checking it out last year and it was 400$ more so they brought it down by a good margin.

Have to understand also that quality equipment is not cheap, we get used to buy crap that look good at Walmart so we expect everything to be dirt cheap.

P.S.: Fuck Walmart. It invaded us in Quebec like 10 years ago and now we are flooded with garbage from China.
Teklan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How soon does it dehumidify your room tho? I can't imagine you get endless gallons of water unless you keep your doors open. But then that means 90+ degree weather during summer opposed to the AC.
eliment

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My office had bought one of those water machines that generate their own water supply by drawing the moisture out of the air. The do generate quite a bit of water, but it can only hold so much at a time. So as long as you only need a glass or two here or there, it's fine. But it doesn't produce much more than a gallon or so at once, then you have to wait for it to kick on and start making more. Also, the filters have to be cleaned pretty regular, and once you see one of those slimy fuckers, you will never want to drink that water again. We finally got rid of ours, because no one would drink the water. Ours was stored in our break area, and the guys would come in from the shop sweaty as hell looking for a drink. Didn't take long until someone got the idea that the machine was pulling in people's sweat also to make the water, and who wants to drink that! I know I have never thought "hey, can I have a glass of sweaty ball water?"
That's just my 2cp on the subject.
Xorne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm sweaty ball water
Mandaar
Guild N00bert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm from Michigan initially.

And frankly, the people there are not going to watch us port the lakes that drive our economy all over the US to places not meant to house life.

That said, short term emergency water is a reasonable thing.

All in all, I find the human species very amusing at the moment.

And the first person to post "dude you've got plenty of water, just give it to us when we want it" will seriously witness a conniption.

EDIT: Don't use this forum for personal bickering.
reijo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the End is near!!! Twisted Evil
Attreus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southern californians are running short of water because THEY LIVE IN THE F"N DESERT!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stangely it seems the same amount of water is on the earth that started long ago... its just a matter of whether we get it or the fish, but either way in the end it all comes around... if i was thirsty in the desert and there was a fish bowl.. im thinking the fish would not be around long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: