Appotus Dominus Appotus Dominus
.: The Drunken Masters of Vazaelle :.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Election aftermath / thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teklan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Election aftermath / thoughts Reply with quote

Post your thoughts about things here.

I just thought it really funny how Texas voted. You can clearly tell where Mexican-Americans are more concentrated. The bottom counties in Texas heavily favored Obama, and the top 2/3 to 3/4 were heavy McCain. There were very few counties that went 50/50.

Also, I haven't browsed every state. But there was def a major trend that most if not all major cities voted for Obama but McCain would take the majority of counties in a state.
Stryffe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that while this is a historic occasion, and America has spoken and they got the answer they wanted, I really hope we don’t live to regret it. A man with radical and terrorist ties has been elected. A man that no matter what anyone says bought this election. 30 minute TV ads and private funding so he was not capped and held to the same standards as his opponent.
I feel he may be better for the economy which is what most of the people fixed, his views on what role our military should be playing may well lead to our downfall.
Lastly I think this will not be a mediocre Presidency, it will either be very good or very bad. This man has so much pressure on him now to live up to all the hype that there can’t be a middle ground. Either he will walk on water or he will bring us to ruin.
royce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i official give up on this country.
IoneMonk
no YOU shut up!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first time in maybe 10-12 years, I have great hope for this county. That’s right, going back past the eight-year nightmare of an administration of the worst president in American history (a man who bragged he doesn’t “read books,” and who has trashed the U.S. Constitution because he undoubtedly did not or could not comprehend that document), even to the last Clinton term.

I have hope that we will be redeemed in the eyes of the world, from a unilateral bully and laughing stock, to a beacon.

I have hope from the millions of energized young people (and old), black and white, who filled the streets of New York, DC, San Diego, Atlanta, Chicago, with tears streaming down their faces. I am proud of them. I am proud that the majority of Americans were smart enough not to buy obscene campaign of lies and mudslinging I’ve ever seen.

I was struck silent by the ABC news reporter, an African American, who couldn’t get through his report, trying to recount a story of his father telling him a black man could never become anything in this world, and then getting out a triumphant “my old man has been proven wrong” before choking with emotion.

I am proud of John McCain, who gave the best speech of his life, and one that showed his true character (and one that may have won HIM the election had his operatives allowed it to emerge). If ever there was a time for this nation to pull together, this is it. McCain was sincere, I believe, in calling for unity. He personally tried, to his credit, to reign in the RNC bullshit and—at least in person—overcome the politics of fear by emphatically telling them that Sen. Obama loves this country too, that he is a good and decent man and that “you don’t have to be frightened of him being President.” Again, people should listen to the real John McCain.
Obama has his work cut out for him.

He inherits a clusterfuck—whoever is to blame, it doesn’t matter. I believe his speech last night fully showed he understands the gravity of the job. I watched that speech with tears in my own eyes, for this singular moment in history, and the first person in nearly thirty years of voting that I can believe in.

I still remember the text message that spread through the grass roots of this movement: “Rosa sat, so Martin could walk, Martin walked, so Barack could run, Barack is running so our children can fly…”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and who has trashed the U.S. Constitution

Of all the things he did wrong, never did he do anything to trash the constitution. Everything that was done was withing the laws of the land and was passed but the lawmakers. People that were voted for by the voters.
So when you go taking credit for whatever good Obama does because your vote counted and got him elected, jsut remember your vote also got Bush elected, so go ahead and take the credit for all he did too. Good and bad.
IoneMonk
no YOU shut up!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of all the things he did wrong, never did he do anything to trash the constitution. Everything that was done was withing the laws of the land and was passed but the lawmakers.

Oh, where to begin? How about at the beginning....I did not vote for George W. Bush, and neither did the majority of the American people. A partisan Supreme Court appointed him president in the most tortured equal protection opinion, Bush v. Gore, to ever eminate out of that body. Score, Bush 1, Constitution 0.

Follow that up with the "USA Patriot Act"--right up there with phrases like "homeland" security, which kind of evokes "fatherland" doesn't it?-- overriding FISA with warrantless searches of you and me, the use of fear to errode our civil liberties whenever possible, the politicalization of the DOJ, the US Attorney firing scandel, the abuse and circumvention of the War Powers Act...some of which was approved by Congress (which doesn't make it Constitutional), and some of which was not. Or appointing an Attorney General who thinks torture is Constitutional (even McCain does not), and whose military courts plan for GITMO has been struck down not once, but three times, by the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and SCOTUS (dominated by Republican appointed judges btw).

We had a balanced budget at the end of Clinton's last term. We had a thriving economy. After the tragedy of 9-11, we had the fervant, heartfelt support of virtually the entire world on our side. Where is all of that now? I want it back.

Last edited by IoneMonk on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Healinyou
Guild N00bert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So when you go taking credit for whatever good Obama does because your vote counted and got him elected, jsut remember your vote also got Bush elected, so go ahead and take the credit for all he did too. Good and bad.

I take no credit for bush, I didn't vote for bush either time he was elected so it wasn't my fault we had that fool in office.

Anyways, I'm just curious how long it will take til some KKK or nazi member is going to not like the fact we have a black president and take a shot at him. I don't think it's a matter of if there will be an assassination attempt, but when thanks to some dumbass with a mind so small it can fit into a pea pod.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Healinyou"]
Quote:

Anyways, I'm just curious how long it will take til some KKK or nazi member is going to not like the fact we have a black president and take a shot at him. I don't think it's a matter of if there will be an assassination attempt, but when thanks to some dumbass with a mind so small it can fit into a pea pod.

Then we must assume that Bush were to be assassinated during his 8 year term as one of our least favorite presidents (winding down his approval rating the 2nd term). Yes, hope for the best and prepare for the worst and I do fear for Obama's safety. However, that kind of terrorism within our own country obviously did not deter the people from choosing him.

And to Stryffe - I was too young to vote in 2000 but in 2004 I voted Kerry; not Bush. I have no regrets about where my morales stood 4 years ago and I have no regrets now with Obama as president.

To everyone: Bush supporters from 2000 or 2004 don't need "told you so"s thrown in their faces though; if they've see the results of Bush's policies they can decide for themselves if thats the road they wanted to travel on when they casted their votes or donated their money.
Teklan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trivia question! Don't google it...

What other President won the election without the popular vote? Hint: Tilden won the popular vote.
dunnodoncare

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the crap that goes around the internet and resonates in people's minds is utterly ridiculous. Pals around with terrorists? People truly believe that shit? How about belonged to a group that wanted a state to secede from the union, and being the first sitting governor to give an opening speach at a secessionist rally.. ever. That sounds one hell of a lot more like treason than being on a republican supported charity, which is what the Ayers situation revolves around. The mindless acceptance of these deceptions does people no credit. It is the politics of fear.

Many people, sadly, do not bother to think for themselves and just accept things that make no rational sense. If Obama is a terrorist for being on the same board is Ayers, what about the others? Are they also terrorists? This is a logical conundrum... how can only Obama be tarnished by this link and not the others, particularly the republican supporters in charge of the charity who still donate to republican candidates? To claim Obama pals around with terrorists and not treat all others who were on that charity exactly the same way makes any person who takes that position hypocritical. If you truly believe that Stryffe, then you believe in a paradox that is unsupportable. It is a sign of either lack of knowledge or of insanity (believing in two contradictory things is a sign of insanity after all). Since I do not truly believe Stryffe is insane, I must come to the conclusion that he has not actually thought about the matter and simply took some talking head's point of view as his own like so many others.

Consider cars. Does that sound silly? It may not in a minute.

Lets say that one family always owned Fords. The kids are raised to think Dodge sucks, the only automobiles they ever see for themselves are the Fords that belong to family members. When they grow up and get old enough to buy a car, if they go in to the dealership believing that all Fords are better than any Dodge then they have not made an informed decision.. they have simply taken someone elses opinion and made it their own, which means they are completely unable to justify why they made that decision.. because in reality they did not make a decision, they simply adopted someone else's as their own.

Now lets take the same person, from the same family, going into the dealership on that day. If they ask questions, inform themselves, get the statistics on warantee, reliability, resale value, horsepower etc.. of both Ford and Dodge, then make their decision based on that data, THEN they have made a decision (an informed one) rather than just accepting someone elses as their own. They may still buy a Ford, but they did it based on the reality of the situation.

You see, its not about which brand you buy.. its how you decide which one is for you. If you do not think for your self, if you do not base your decision on facts but rather on tradition or a pre-existing belief, then you are not making an informed decision.

You can hate Obama or McCain or whoever as much as you want. But... a smart person, a rational person, a person who actually CARES, will base that decision on the facts rather than fantasy.

Support whoever you like, but do it with thought and care. To do less is nothing to be proud of.

Medding.
Stryffe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, where to begin? How about at the beginning....I did not vote for George W. Bush, and neither did the majority of the American people.

Correct you are sir. And we the greatest democracy in the world... well I guess we aren't. This is the reason I do not vote. I am many things but hypocrite isn't one. I know my vote doesn't count so I don't waste my time with it.
However as a nation we allow the select few to pick our leadership for us.

Quote:
A partisan Supreme Court appointed him president in the most tortured equal protection opinion

Not true. The Electoral College is not made up of the Supreme Court. So your point here is incorrect.

Quote:
USA Patriot Act

Another piece of crap bill passed into law by the people you all voted for.
Yes it was passed at a time of great distress by the American people but it was passed by the laws given to us in the constitution, making it as legal as any other law. so again, your point is incorrect.

Quote:
overriding FISA with warrantless searches of you and me

Perhaps you need to stop reading the internet and read the law, the searches where to be on incoming calls from outside the US to inside, and only on suspected terrorist anyways. Though I have no doubt that this law is used in some very bad ways, its intent was to protect and again, it was passed by majority vote. No one tricked anyone into letting it pass.

Quote:
appointing an Attorney General who thinks torture is Constitutional

No one really thinks it is constitutional, or right. However we are at war and sometimes you have to take extreme steps. Look back through history and there you will find many accounts of terrible injustices that have been done for the good of the people. And most if not all of them have saved lives.

Quote:
We had a balanced budget at the end of Clinton's last term. We had a thriving economy. After the tragedy of 9-11, we had the fervant, heartfelt support of virtually the entire world on our side. Where is all of that now? I want it back.

If you pay close attention you will see that most economic plans are set for 10 or 15 years. That being said the balanced economy that we may have had surely did not start with the Clinton presidency.
Even Obama's plan is a 10 year plan which means 2 years after he is out of office if he gets 2 terms, the person in charge then will get the credit for that rebalancing.

Lastly, I want back that feeling too. However we all, every country that participated in the ongoing wars, started this, not just us, however we the US of A, are the ones that are sticking it out. Most of the others got a little bloody and decided that was enough. We did not leave when they did so we are the bad guy? No. We are the defenders of the entire world. Every time there is something going on, we are called and other nations expect us to help them. If we don't, then we are the bad guys, if we do, hell we are still the bad guys.

Injustice? Yes. Unconstitutional? No.
dunnodoncare

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stryffe, by that reasoning every law passed is constitutional, including a law that nullifies the constitution.

Medding.
Stryffe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are, until they are repealed or another law is made to overwrite them.

Strange but true
IoneMonk
no YOU shut up!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, balls to the adage about arguing on the internet...

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, where to begin? How about at the beginning....I did not vote for George W. Bush, and neither did the majority of the American people.

Correct you are sir. And we the greatest democracy in the world... well I guess we aren't. This is the reason I do not vote. I am many things but hypocrite isn't one. I know my vote doesn't count so I don't waste my time with it.
However as a nation we allow the select few to pick our leadership for us.

Quote:
A partisan Supreme Court appointed him president in the most tortured equal protection opinion

Not true. The Electoral College is not made up of the Supreme Court. So your point here is incorrect.

Yes. The Electoral College is not "made up" of SCOTUS.

Stryffe, while many people do not like the concept of Electoral College, that is not what we're talking about here. Bush v. Gore, 531 U.S. 98 (2000) was the SCOTUS decision that put Bush in the White House by the most singularly perverted application of the equal protection clause ever devisd. Read the opinion. Florida had 25 electoral votes in play. Bush needed 270 to win. Once the lawsuits cleared, on a 5-4 plurality, the Court handed Bush the Presidency with exactly 271 electoral votes (Gore had 266 iirc). Among people who once held SCOTUS in some esteem, this was a blight on the judiciary that may have irreparably injured the court.

As for this:

Quote:
Perhaps you need to stop reading the internet and read the law, the searches where to be on incoming calls from outside the US to inside, and only on suspected terrorist anyways. Though I have no doubt that this law is used in some very bad ways, its intent was to protect and again, it was passed by majority vote. No one tricked anyone into letting it pass.

I hardly know where to begin. FISA is and was the law. Read it. It requires a warrant. 18 U.S.C. § 2511(2)(f) provides in relevant part that "the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 shall be the exclusive means by which electronic surveillance, as defined in 50 U.S.C. § 1801(f)... and the intercept of domestic [communications] may be conducted." The whole controversy about the NSA warrantless search program (which was hidden until the NY times broke the story btw), was that the Bush admin insisted that FISA doesn't mean what it says, or that if it does, it's okay cause they are trying to protect us. There was no "majority" vote. It was a secret program. Kind of the whole point of why people were pissed.
Guild N00bert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the rhetoric aside, I have grave concern about how we go about withdrawing from Iraq. It must be done only after victory is achieved or can be acknowledged and not simply reversed. It was probably a shitty thing to do, but Iran is now the issue.

And honestly, is there a chance of victory long term with Iran ready to just swoop in or at least use the situation to their advantage?

Do I think being there was a great idea or even good? No. But, let's not argue that.

Obama is it, I wish him well, I hope he can find small ways to rise above the foolishness that is our extremist system. And I hope he surrounds himself with people that are long-seeing.
dnief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: New World Order is here Reply with quote

Iraq: We marched in we can March out. Simple. Winning is not being there.

When the next event like 9/11 happens to change the public opinion we can and should all question the event instead of Waving a flag in the air screaming "take our rights away! take our rights away!"

The Complete Idiot's Guide to the New World Order
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRLPG_HplrA

Wake Up Call
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3543161691381895251
royce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone just give me a few examples of why he should of even been considered for pres.? its obvious to me is that they just didnt want to vote rep. community organizer? he hasnt as much run a burger king.
and if you say cause of the economy plz give me an example of his economic qualifications other than he just says hes gonna fixeverything with hope and change.
im willing to guess that majority of young people that fell for all the bullshit and voted for obama havent even sniffed whats its like to struggle with a small business or having to raise a family . i was born and raised in a big city, i see how democrats run things, take from people who work and give to the non working. if school system isnt working its because it needs more money etc.
and as far as his frindships with the less diserable people that liberals like to just pass off and ignore, maybe he wasnt buddy buddy with william ayers but he still breathed the same air in the same room as that scum, he did your years listen to an unamercan preacher who he has called his mentor, thelist goes on.
hes weak and liberal in a time where russia and iran and chavez are getting more aggresive . while at the same time he has promised to shrink our military, build no more nuclear weapons, ditch the stratgic air defence . you dont think our enemies read this?
remember how you voted when he goes onhis promise to tax the rich and even more business goes over seas, remember how you voted when he taxes small business andmany will lose there job , when you from your taxes pay for abortions and lets the aclu run wild with all their looniness .
obama, pelosi, reed, dodd, kerry, dean friggin thx
the united states of detroit is what we are headed for
Teklan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royce:

His Iraq plan (according to his website, not news media) is to remove troops 16 months from now. That doesn't mean all of a sudden - its a gradual removal. At the same time he believes we should focus more on Afghanistan where Al-Qaeda actually is and if you've read the news has gotten much worse this past year.

And on the economy, small businesses and struggling families aren't being taxed extra. If anything, they get rebates (money back). It is families or businesses that are well off that get a SLIGHT increase in taxes if its around the $250,000 mark, and gradually tiers up the more they make. He's not making the poor poorer - everyone can still manage to pay their bills that has an increase in their taxes.

To say he's not qualified to run the economy; imagine this. He has advisors that went to school for economics. He tells his advisors the directions he wants to go with the economy and they number crunch for him and tell him the best way to go about it. This isn't a one man show - its not like he's going into anything blindly.

Next, about his past associations. Did you know who Ayers was until mudslinging in this campaign? Did Obama even necessarily know what Ayers did in the past? Fuck, I don't do background checks on every single person I meet and I sure as hell don't expect Obama to especially at the age he was. You are just trying to find a reason to not like Obama in this whole scenario it seems like.

Obama has an open door mentality. You try shooting this down as an option and you don't even know if it works or not. Ignoring Iran and Korea (shutting them off from the world) hasn't worked on stopping nuclear programs. IIRC once we negotiated with Korea (gasp) then wow, they wanted to work things out. Now imagine if we talked with everyone else out there...

Edit: The only reason I see someone hating Obama is because he might come off as socialist or because he's will to "negotiate with terrorists" as the republicans branded him.

Also, if you truly believe Chavez is a bad guy....try reading up on him; just a little. See what he has done for his people vs. minority of conglomerates. Also look at what hes done for the USA despite our criticism of him (look along the lines of cheap/donated fuel to the needy here).

A lot of this is fragmented but I have to go to class and take tests....so I'll look at this tomorrow!
royce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tek,i read 3 newspapers a day listen to talk radio all day , that 250 ,000. you mentioned , their have been verbal gaffes on that , in the begining they said 250, then 200 then biden slipped and said 150. and btw , since when is 250k rich? it might seem like alot of money to young people but it realy isnt.

for the economy point , im pretty sure i heard from his own mouth "spread the wealth around" and biden saying "time to step up , get on board" referring for more people to pay even more taxes.

and as far as ayers , yes i have heard ofhim so why didnt he? only a week before their socalled informal meeting , i forget what magazine it was, but ayers was on the front cover standing on an amercan flag.
dunnodoncare

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you don't think 250k per year is rich?

Think carefully before you answer that. The wrong answer will make you look like a fool.

Medding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Appotus Dominus Forum Index -> Stories, Humor and Screenshots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: